If you’re a pet owner, you know how important it is to keep your furry friend happy and healthy. One of the ways to ensure your pet’s well-being is by providing them with proper access to the outdoors. This is where smart pet doors come in handy – they allow your pet to enter and leave your home at their own convenience while keeping unwanted animals or strangers outside. In this article, we’ll review the best smart pet doors available in 2023, explain how they work, and provide a comprehensive guide on everything you need to know about them.
Smart pet doors are electronic devices that allow pets to enter and exit your home without human intervention. They use sensors to detect when a pet is approaching and open up automatically, allowing your pet to go in or out. These doors are usually installed on walls or doors and can be controlled through a mobile app or a remote control.
- Convenient for pet owners who are not always at home
- Allows pets to have access to the outdoors whenever they want
- Can prevent unwanted animals or strangers from entering your home
- Can be programmed to lock or unlock at certain times or only for specific pets
- Some models can be integrated with smart home systems for added functionality
- Expensive compared to traditional pet doors
- Might not be suitable for all types of homes or doors
- Can malfunction or break down, leaving your home vulnerable
- Might require professional installation
Who Needs a Smart Pet Door?
Anyone who wants to provide their pet with easy access to the outdoors can benefit from a smart pet door. They are especially useful for busy pet owners who are not always at home to let their pets in or out. If you have multiple pets, smart pet doors can also be programmed to only allow certain pets to use the door, which can prevent fights or accidents between pets.
What to Consider When Buying a Smart Pet Door
Before purchasing a smart pet door, there are several factors you should consider:
Make sure the size of the door is appropriate for your pet. It’s important to measure your pet’s height and width and compare it to the door’s dimensions to ensure that your pet can comfortably go in and out.
Consider whether you want to install the door on your wall or door. Some models might require professional installation, so factor in the additional cost.
Check what type of connectivity options the door offers. Most smart pet doors can be controlled through a mobile app or a remote control, but some models also offer voice control or integration with smart home systems.
Look for features that ensure the safety and security of your home and pet. This can include automatic locking mechanisms, sensors that detect when someone other than your pet is trying to enter, or a feature that allows you to monitor your pet’s activity.
Consider how the door is powered. Some models require batteries, while others need to be plugged into an electrical outlet.
How to Install a Smart Pet Door
Installing a smart pet door can vary depending on the brand and model. However, here are some general steps you can follow:
- Choose the location where you want to install the door.
- Measure the size of the door and mark the outline on the wall or door.
- Cut a hole in the marked area according to the door’s specifications.
- Place the door frame through the hole and secure it in place using screws.
- Install the sensors and connect them to the door frame.
- Connect the power source to the door.
- Program the door according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Alternatives to Smart Pet Doors
If you’re not ready to invest in a smart pet door, there are several alternatives you can consider:
Traditional Pet Doors:
Traditional pet doors are simple and inexpensive. They work by allowing your pet to push or pull the door open to go outside. However, they don’t offer any added security features, and unwanted animals or strangers can easily enter your home through them.
Pet gates are an excellent alternative if you don’t want to install a door. They can be used to block off certain areas of your home and prevent your pet from accessing them. Some models are also portable and can be easily moved around.
Pet flaps are similar to traditional pet doors but are usually installed on windows instead of walls or doors. They are less expensive than smart pet doors but offer fewer features.
Step-by-Step Guide to Choosing the Best Smart Pet Door
Choosing the best smart pet door can be overwhelming, considering the number of options available on the market. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you make the right choice:
- Determine the size of the door based on your pet’s height and width.
- Choose the type ofinstallation you want – wall or door – and make sure the door’s dimensions fit the space you have.
- Decide on your preferred connectivity options, such as mobile app control or voice control.
- Look for security features that ensure your pet’s safety and prevent unwanted entry into your home.
- Consider your power source options and whether you want to use batteries or electrical outlets.
- Read reviews and compare prices to find a model that fits your budget and meets your needs.
Tips for Using a Smart Pet Door
Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your smart pet door:
- Train your pet to use the door by demonstrating how it works and rewarding them when they use it correctly.
- Set up schedules or restrictions for when the door is unlocked to prevent your pet from going outside at inappropriate times.
- Regularly clean and maintain the door to ensure proper functioning and prevent malfunctions.
- Monitor your pet’s activity through the door to keep track of their comings and goings.
- Choose a model with backup battery power in case of power outages.
The Best Smart Pet Doors of 2023
- SureFlap Microchip Pet Door Connect: This smart pet door uses your pet’s implanted microchip or RFID collar tag to unlock the door, providing added security. It also offers mobile app control, curfew modes, and activity monitoring.
- PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor: This smart pet door can be controlled through a remote or mobile app and offers four different locking options for added security. It is also energy-efficient and has a battery-saving mode.
- Endura Flap Double Flap Wall Mount Pet Door: This smart pet door is designed to provide superior insulation and weather resistance. It has two flaps to prevent drafts and is compatible with various wall types.
- High Tech Pet Power Pet Electronic Pet Door: This smart pet door uses a motorized panel to open and close, making it ideal for pets of all sizes. It also offers directional sensing technology and automatic safety features.
- Are smart pet doors safe for my pets?
Smart pet doors are generally safe for pets as long as they are installed correctly and used according to the manufacturer’s instructions. They can provide added security by preventing unwanted animals or strangers from entering your home.
- Can I install a smart pet door myself?
Some models can be installed by the owner, while others might require professional installation. Make sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions before attempting to install the door yourself.
- Can multiple pets use a smart pet door?
Most smart pet doors can be programmed to only allow certain pets to use the door, which can prevent fights or accidents between pets.
- What happens if the power goes out?
Some smart pet doors offer backup battery power to ensure that the door continues to function during power outages. However, make sure to check the manufacturer’s specifications before purchasing a model.
- How do I train my pet to use a smart pet door?
It’s important to demonstrate how the door works to your pet and reward them when they use it correctly. Some models also offer training modes to help pets get used to the door.
Smart pet doors can be a convenient and secure way to provide your pet with easy access to the outdoors. When choosing a smart pet door, consider factors such as size, installation, connectivity, security, and power source. The best smart pet doors of 2023 include models from SureFlap, PetSafe, Endura Flap, and High Tech Pet. Remember to train your pet to use the door correctly and regularly maintain the door to ensure proper functioning.