If you’re a hamster owner, you know that providing your furry friend with a proper bedding is essential for their health and happiness. But with so many options available on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. In this guide, we’ll go over some of the best hamster beddings available in 2023, along with their pros, cons, and alternatives.
Before we dive into our top picks, let’s go over some important factors to consider when choosing a hamster bedding:
- Absorbency: Hamsters are clean animals and prefer dry environments, so it’s important to choose a bedding that can absorb moisture effectively.
- Dust-free: Some hamsters are sensitive to dust or have respiratory issues, so it’s important to choose a bedding that doesn’t produce excessive dust.
- Safety: Choose a bedding that is non-toxic and doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals or additives.
- Comfort: A good bedding should provide a comfortable and soft surface for your hamster to burrow and nest in.
Now that we’ve covered the basics, let’s get into our top picks for the best hamster beddings in 2023.
The Best Hamster Beddings
1. Carefresh Small Pet Bedding
Carefresh Small Pet Bedding is a popular choice among hamster owners for its superior absorbency and dust-free formula. Made from reclaimed paper pulp, this bedding is eco-friendly and biodegradable. It’s also safe for your hamster to ingest, as it’s free from harmful chemicals and additives. One downside is that it can be expensive compared to other beddings.
2. Kaytee Clean Cozy Small Animal Bedding
Kaytee Clean Cozy Small Animal Bedding is another highly rated option for hamster bedding. Made from soft, fluffy materials, this bedding provides a comfortable and cozy environment for your hamster. It’s also 99% dust-free and has high absorbency, making it a great choice for keeping cages clean and dry. One downside is that it can be a bit pricey compared to other options.
3. Small Pet Select Natural Paper Bedding
Small Pet Select Natural Paper Bedding is a top-rated bedding choice on Amazon for its eco-friendly, hypoallergenic, and non-toxic formula. Made from unbleached virgin paper fibers, this bedding is free from harmful chemicals and additives. It’s also highly absorbent and provides a comfortable surface for your hamster to burrow in. One downside is that it can be a bit dusty, so it may not be the best choice for hamsters with respiratory issues.
4. Critter Care Natural Small Pet Bedding
Critter Care Natural Small Pet Bedding is an affordable and eco-friendly option for hamster bedding. Made from natural paper pulp, this bedding is biodegradable and safe for your hamster to ingest. It also provides good absorbency and creates a soft and comfortable nest for your hamster to sleep in. One downside is that it can be a bit dusty, which may not be ideal for hamsters with respiratory issues.
Pros and Cons of Different Types of Hamster Beddings
In addition to the specific brands mentioned above, there are different types of hamster beddings available on the market. Here’s a breakdown of some pros and cons of each type:
- Wood shavings: Pros – affordable, readily available. Cons – can be too harsh and abrasive for sensitive skin, may contain harmful oils or chemicals.
- Pellets: Pros – good absorbency, easy to clean. Cons – can be too hard and uncomfortable for nesting, may contain additives or chemicals.
- Recycled paper: Pros – eco-friendly, soft and comfortable. Cons – can be expensive, may produce dust.
Tips for Using Hamster Beddings
- Choose a bedding that is appropriate for your hamster’s specific needs and preferences.
- Clean the cage regularly to maintain a dry and healthy environment for your hamster.
- Avoid beddings that are scented or contain harmful additives or chemicals.
- Provide extra nesting materials like shredded paper or tissue for your hamster to use as they please.
Choosing the right bedding for your hamster can make all the difference in their health and happiness. Consider factors like absorbency, dust-free formula, safety, and comfort when selecting a bedding, and don’t be afraid to try different options to find what works best for your furry friend. With so many great choices available on the market, you’re sure to find the perfect bedding for your hamster.
- How often should I change my hamster’s bedding?
- It’s recommended to change your hamster’s bedding at least once a week, but you may need to change it more frequently if it becomes dirty orwet.
- Can I use cat litter as hamster bedding?
- No, it’s not recommended to use cat litter as hamster bedding, as it can contain harmful chemicals and additives that can be dangerous for your hamster if ingested.
- Can I mix different types of bedding together?
- Yes, you can mix different types of bedding together to provide a comfortable and absorbent environment for your hamster. Just make sure to avoid mixing beddings that produce excessive dust or contain harmful chemicals.
- How deep should I make the bedding in my hamster’s cage?
- It’s recommended to make the bedding at least 2-3 inches deep to allow your hamster to burrow and nest comfortably.
- Can I reuse hamster bedding?
- It’s not recommended to reuse hamster bedding, as it may contain bacteria or other harmful substances that can be hazardous to your hamster’s health.