Are you looking for a way to give your feline friend some fresh air and outdoor access while keeping them safe from harm? Look no further than outdoor cat enclosures! These structures allow cats to enjoy the great outdoors without exposing them to dangerous predators or traffic. In this article, we’ll review the top 5 outdoor cat enclosures on the market today, so you can make an informed decision about which one is right for you and your furry friend.
Who Needs an Outdoor Cat Enclosure?
Any cat owner who wants to provide their pet with safe outdoor access can benefit from an outdoor cat enclosure. This includes:
- Owners of indoor-only cats who want to give their pets a taste of the outdoors
- Owners of cats who have been injured or are recovering from an illness and need restricted outdoor access
- Owners of cats who live in a high-traffic or predator-rich area and need protection when outside
What Are Outdoor Cat Enclosures?
Outdoor cat enclosures are structures that allow cats to safely access the outdoors. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, from simple mesh tents to elaborate multi-level aviaries. Some enclosures are designed to be attached to the side of a house or garage, while others are freestanding.
When Should You Use an Outdoor Cat Enclosure?
You can use an outdoor cat enclosure anytime you want to provide your cat with safe outdoor access. However, there are certain situations where an outdoor cat enclosure may be particularly useful, such as:
- During warm weather months when your cat may want to spend more time outside
- When you’re doing yard work or other outdoor activities and want to keep an eye on your cat
- When you’re traveling with your cat and want to provide them with a safe outdoor space
How to Choose the Right Outdoor Cat Enclosure
When choosing an outdoor cat enclosure, there are several factors to consider, including:
- Size: Consider the size of your cat and how much space they will need to move around comfortably.
- Material: Look for durable materials that can withstand outdoor weather conditions.
- Assembly: Consider how easy the enclosure is to assemble and whether you’ll need any special tools or skills.
- Design: Think about the design features that are important to you and your cat, such as multiple levels, access doors, and play areas.
Pros and Cons of Outdoor Cat Enclosures
- Provides cats with safe outdoor access
- Protects cats from predators, traffic, and other dangers
- Allows cats to get exercise and fresh air
- Can improve cats’ mental and emotional wellbeing
- May be expensive
- Requires space to set up
- May require permits or HOA approval in some areas
- May not be suitable for all cats (e.g. those who are easily stressed or have mobility issues)
Alternatives to Outdoor Cat Enclosures
If an outdoor cat enclosure isn’t feasible for your situation, there are several alternatives you can consider, including:
- Leash training: Some cats can be trained to walk on a leash and harness, allowing them to safely explore the outdoors while under your supervision.
- Window perches: Installing a window perch can give your cat a view of the outdoors without exposing them to danger.
- Catios: A catio is a screened-in porch or balcony that allows cats to enjoy the outdoors safely.
Step-by-Step Guide to Setting Up an Outdoor Cat Enclosure
- Choose the right location: Look for a level spot with good drainage and shade.
- Clear the area: Remove any debris or obstacles from the site.
- Assemble the enclosure: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to assemble the enclosure.
- Secure the enclosure: Make sure the enclosure is securely anchored to the ground or a nearby structure.
- Add features: Consider adding features like shelves, perches, and accessories to make the enclosure more appealing to your cat.
- Introduce your cat: Gradually introduce your cat to the enclosure, starting with short supervised visits and gradually increasing the length of time they spend outside.
Compare the Top 5 Outdoor Cat Enclosures
|Kittywalk Systems||Town and Country Collection||96″ x 18″ x 72″||Steel, netting||$799.95|
|ABO Gear||Happy Habitat||74″ x 63″ x 36″||Mesh, steel||$62.99|
|PawHut||Large Wooden Outdoor Cat Enclosure||71″ x 38″ x 71″||Wood, mesh||$309.99|
|Prevue Pet Products||Premium Cat Home||43.25″ x 25.25″ x 44.88″||Metal, plastic||$274.99|
Kittywalk Systems – Town and Country Collection:
- This enclosure is made of steel and netting which makes it durable.
- It’s also very spacious, measuring at 96″ x 18″ x 72″.
- The price for this cat enclosure is on the higher end at $799.95.
ABO Gear – Happy Habitat:
- This outdoor cat enclosure is made with mesh and steel and is one of the more affordable options at $62.99.
- It measures 74″ x 63″ x 36″, making it a good option for smaller cats or spaces.
- It’s easily portable, making it a great option for traveling with your cat.
PawHut – Large Wooden Outdoor Cat Enclosure:
- This enclosure is made of wood and mesh and provides a natural look which can blend with your outdoors.
- It has a spacious design measuring 71″ x 38″ x 71″
- It’s on the pricier side at $309.99.
Prevue Pet Products – Premium Cat Home:
- This enclosure is made of metal and plastic and is budget-friendly at $274.99.
- With a size of 43.25″ x 25.25″ x 44.88″, it’s suitable for smaller cats or limited outdoor spaces.
- The metal frame gives it a sturdy construction.
Advantek – The Pueblo Cat House:
- This enclosure is made from wooden material and mesh that provides natural look to its surrounding.
- Measuring 71″ x 38″ x 71″ it has plenty of space for your cat to roam around.
- Affordable price at $231.99.
Tips for Using an Outdoor Cat Enclosure
- Supervise your cat when they’re outside to make sure they stay safe.
- Provide shade and water to keep your cat comfortable.
- Make sure the enclosure is securely anchored to prevent it from tipping over or blowing away in strong winds.
- Clean the enclosure regularly to prevent the buildup of dirt and debris.
The Best Outdoor Cat Enclosure: Our Top Pick
After considering the different types and brands of outdoor cat enclosures, we’ve chosen the Kittywalk Systems Town and Country Collection as our top pick. It’s spacious, well-made, durable and has multiple levels that can provide good exercise for your cat. It may be on the more expensive side but is worth the investment for its quality.
Outdoor cat enclosures are a great way to provide cats with safe outdoor access while protecting them from harm. By choosing the right size, material, design, and features, you can create a space that meets both yours and your cat’s needs. Remember to always supervise your cat when they are outside in an enclosure and make sure they have access to shade, water, and a clean environment.
- Can any cat use an outdoor cat enclosure?
- While most cats can use an outdoor cat enclosure, those with mobility issues or easily stressed cats may not do well in one.
- How long does it take to set up an outdoor cat enclosure?
- The time it takes to set up an outdoor cat enclosure depends on the type of structure, materials used and complexity of the structure.
- Do I need any special tools to assemble an outdoor cat enclosure?
- It depends on the brand and type of outdoor cat enclosure. Some may require special tools while others can be assembled with basic household tools.
- Can outdoor cat enclosures be used during winter?
- Depending on the location and weather condition, some outdoor cat enclosures can be used during winter with additional insulation.
- What is the lifespan of an outdoor cat enclosure?
- The lifespan of an outdoor cat enclosure depends on several factors including the material, maintenance and weather condition. A well-maintained structure can last for several years.